Thursday, October 29, 2009

No more "weeks" and Reading Day!

Ok, I know it's been a while since I've blogged! We've been super busy with school and everything. We are still doing great though :) Busy, but great! I know I started out doing a "week by week" blog...but as the weeks have past, that's just not happening! ha. Plus, I'm starting to loose count of how long we've been here now. I think it's been right around 3 months though. It seems like we've been here for a year already. To think about living in our little house on Hobby Farms Rd. in Clinton, MS seems like ages ago! But we're having a good time, making lots of new friends, trying to follow God and influence in a positive way all of these kids we're with all day long.

I feel like I have finally gotten a "handle" on this teaching thing. Not that I'm good at it or know exactly what I'm doing but the routine of it is settling in. This weekend will be the first since we've been here that I won't have to go to my classroom on Saturday! I decided last weekend that from then on...NO more going up there on the weekends! The whole process of lesson planning and preparing is getting easier for both me and Josh. I think I enjoy teaching a bit more than Josh though...but hey, I get to practice letters and do art projects all day! I think Josh really just doesn't like the fact that even after school is over...he has to come home and grade papers, get things ready for the next day, work on lesson plans for the next week, etc. Just pray that he will stay encouraged and uplifted as we're here teaching for the next 9 months!

Last week at school ABC Christian Academy held its' annual Reading Day. The entire day was devoted to reading and/or reading activities and all the kids got to dress up as their favorite book character! I had SO many "princesses" in my class. I'm not too sure they were characters from a book though...I think they just used it as an excuse to dress like a princess at school! ha. They were adorable though. If any of you are familiar with the Twilight book series you know about Edward Cullen. That's who Josh dressed up as! I painted his hair brown and glued glitter all over his face, neck and arms and he wore some "sharp" clothes to school. :) He looked so cute! As for me, I was the tree from The Giving Tree. I always loved that book growing up and brought a copy of it here with me. I made a tree hat, wore brown, and held limbs in my hands all day. I really looked more like a pinnapple but whatever! ha. It was alot of fun...an exciting day for sure :)

As far as "daily living" goes...we have hired a house helper who comes every Tuesday and Thursday to help out around the house. Her name is Grace and she is AMAZING! I am going to be so spoiled when I come back home and can't afford one in the states. She's just a really sweet and grateful lady and never asks for anything. And she helps me out a TON. She does dishes, sweep and mops the floors, cleans the bathroom, does laundry, etc. It's great! We really love her. Her English isn't that great though so sometimes it's a little difficult to communicate. A change of subject that I just thought about...it's gotten really hot here lately. Not hot muggy like Mississippi, just hot. But without air conditioning it's a little annoying. We pretty much are clamy/sweaty from about 9:00 am-9:00pm. But we know there's nothing we can do about..that seems to help a little-since we know we can't fix it I guess we just think...oh well! If we were in the states and it was this hot at our house though...we'd be sleeping at our parents house! ha. It's probably good for us though. It has rained a couple times these past two weeks for about 10 mins each. It smelled so good! The rains typically come mid to late November. That will be nice. But even though it's not raining, somehow the trees and flowers are blooming. When we got here everything was BROWN, but now it's green. And it's only showered like 3 times in 3 months!

Well, I guess that's about all for now! I'll really try to be better at posting though. I hope I'm doing an ok job as far as what I'm writing about. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to email or just leave a comment to this post and I'll answer you :) Thanks so much for everyones support, prayer, and commitment in our mission!! Keep us in your prayers, please :)

Love,

Rebecca :)

No comments:

Post a Comment